|JOB TITLE:||Service Together Intern|
|JOB TYPE:||Unpaid Internship|
|REPORTS TO:||Service Together Manager|
|SCHEDULE:||To Be Determined|
A powerful form of community building and social healing, Service Together (ST) bridges the gap between veterans and civilians by helping those who served transition back to civilian life, and providing a place for civilians to step forward in new and responsible engagement with veterans. ST addresses the need both civilians and veterans have for relationship, resiliency and attention to the moral struggles and emotional consequences that war evokes. It develops and implements events that are life-altering for those who attend, and fosters healing for broader communities brought together through the process. Events include: panel discussions, dialogues, visits to iconic sites (Ground Zero), local service projects, educational involvements for military cultural competency, and advocacy strategies for veterans’ benefits and opportunities for reintegration into civilian life. Artistic expressions (drama, music and poetry) are woven throughout the events.
As troops deployed for Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom have returned home, while many of our service personnel incorporate their deployment into positive social and vocational assets, others bring back a host of traumatic experiences manifested in unresolved wounds of war — seen and unseen.
Civilians also carry the burdens of war’s trauma, though often this is overlooked. Disconnection from the warrior community, apathy, denial of shared responsibility, and the inability to appropriately talk with or provide support for returning military personnel are realities that keep our society from being healthy and whole. Both veterans and civilians are critical to the long-term solution to social reintegration. The Service Together program is a direct way for communities to begin the process.
The intern for this program will work closely with the Service Together Manager to advance Intersections’ mission of bringing together diverse groups and individuals. Responsibilities include assisting the Service Together Manager with outreach and recruitment of participants, creating, facilitating, and posting website and social media content, planning and implementing events, and providing input on growth strategy.
- Communicate with former and potential Service Together participants via email, social media, and the website to encourage sustained involvement.
- Represent Service Together at outreach events to cultivate new participants.
- Locate, research, and create content for the website, Facebook, and twitter accounts, including weekly blog contributions.
- Assist with planning, setup, and implementation of events including dialogues, military cultural competency workshops, and arts programming. Some evening and weekend events (1-3 times per month) included.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following abilities:
- Flexibility and ingenuity to support a growing program
- Solid organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities in a time-sensitive manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills with the ability to interact with diverse internal and external groups.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse audience of individuals, organizations, and leaders.
- Must be committed to working with Military and Veteran populations with a focus on diversity and social justice issues.
- Equivalent of an Associate’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university required.
- Minimum of one year working with Military or Veteran populations and functional knowledge of the strengths and challenges faced by this population.
- Veterans of OIF/OEF, military spouses and family members strongly encouraged to apply.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience with internet and social media required (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Blogs)
Please email your Cover Letter, Resume, and Writing Sample to: email@example.com
Attn: Ms. Lucretia Holden, Human Resources; Subject line: INT-2017-STI
Our Internship is ongoing and will adjust to your academic institution’s semester.